On Aug. 9, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria,
11th Aug 2015
August 10, 2015
Release # 20150810
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Aug. 9, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted eight airstrikes using bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 21 airstrikes coordinated with the Government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“Our airstrikes against Daesh in northern Syria have resulted in the loss of approximately 17,000 square kilometers by Daesh,” said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR public affairs officer. “Anti-ISIL forces and coalition airstrikes have freed many from the barbarism of Daesh, denied Daesh a safe haven and has provided Iraqi forces the needed time and space to regenerate combat power and go on the offensive.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL bunkers, two ISIL structures, an ISIL excavator and an ISIL supply truck.
· Near Aleppo, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Tal Abyad, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker.
· Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL homemade explosives factory.
· Near Bayji, four airstrikes struck two large and one small ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL vehicles and two ISIL structures.
· Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL weapons cache.
· Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
· Near Makhmur, four airstrikes struck two ISIL staging areas and destroyed 19 ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Mosul, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL caches and an ISIL building.
· Near Ramadi, five airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building, an ISIL homemade explosives resupply trailer, an ISIL IED and an ISIL VBIED.
· Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL tunnel system.
· Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL heavy machine gun firing position and an ISIL mortar firing position.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.