Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 23 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
19th Jul 2015
July 18, 2015
Release # 20150718
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On July 17, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted eight airstrikes using bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 23 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“The coalition airstrikes targeted Daesh vehicles, weapons and units around Fallujah, Ramadi and Tal Afar,” said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR chief of public affairs. “When coalition assets detect and positively identify Daesh targets, we strike them relentlessly and our strikes exact a heavy toll on this brutal enemy.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, five airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units and two ISIL small tactical units and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL armored vehicle.
· Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike destroyed three ISIL T-walls.
· Near Kobani, two airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Fallujah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery weapon.
· Near Habbaniya, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Makhmur, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
· Near Mosul, two airstrikes destroyed two ISIL vehicles.
· Near Ramadi, five airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, an ISIL small tactical unit and three ISIL IEDs and destroyed two ISIL IEDs, five ISIL vehicles and seven ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck one ISIL tactical units, an ISIL light machine gun position and an ISIL sniper position and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun position and an ISIL building.
· Near Tal Afar, ten airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, three staging areas, two weapons caches, a command and control center, an ISIL heavy machine gun position and suppressed ISIL mortar fire as well as destroying an ISIL building and two ISIL vehicles.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.